Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Basilian Archives Finds New Home

June 5, 2023

Congregation's archives are packed for move to Henry Carr Farm

The General Archives of the Basilian Fathers is moving to its temporary home at Fr. Henry Carr Farm in Beeton, Ontario. St. Michael’s College School plays a pivotal role in preserving the Basilian legacy by donating space within the retreat house on the sprawling 97-acre property. This act of philanthropy ensures the safe guarding of priceless historical documents that hold the key to the Basilian Fathers’  legacy.

The new archive storage area was renovated with an insulated door and specially controlled air intake that will main a constant temperature and humidity.  The raised flooring on either side will house the rolling shelves that will provide optimum space for archival material.

To be a suitable storage space for the archival material, a special room was constructed with humidity control and regulated temperature to ensure the safety of the archival material.

Empty moving containers line the hallway outside the archives’ current location in the Flahiff Centre.

The Basilians are grateful to Father Andrew Leung, CSB, president of St. Michael’s College School, for his generous cooperation and assistance in providing this archival space for the storage of valuable archival documents. Michelle Sawyers, the Congregation’s archivist, has worked tirelessly to prepare for this move and has ensured the Congregation’s artifacts are transferred safely.

The Archives store the records of the Basilian Fathers dating back to their arrival in Toronto, Ontario in 1850, including administrative records, records from Basilian houses and institutions and personal records of individual Basilians including books, articles, diaries, letters and more. Formats include paper, photographs, scrapbooks, artifacts, electronic records, audiovisual material, artwork and architectural drawings. The General Archives of the Basilian Fathers have been housed in the Cardinal Flahiff Basilian Centre since 1997, when they were moved from the Kelly Library at the University of St. Michael’s College. Records prior to 1850 are still kept in Annonay, France.


Discerning, a Vocations Blog
General News

Monstrance and Relic of Pope St. Pius X Find New Home in St. Pius X Parish

When the chapel and sacristies of the Cardinal Flahiff Basilian Centre were being emptied of their contents this past summer, Father Jefferson M. Thompson, CSB learned that two items available […]

Read More

Basilian Lay Associates of Rochester hold a Memorial Mass for deceased Basilian Fathers

On Tuesday, August 29, the Basilian Lay Associates of Rochester held a Memorial Mass for deceased Basilian Fathers. Fr. Kevin Mannara, CSB, presided. Fr. Lance Gonyo, a diocesan priest educated […]

Read More

A Journey of Resilience and Faith: Relocating from 95 St. Joseph St. to 360 Davenport

In Basilian history, we find resilience, faith, and an unwavering dedication to the Basilian charism of education, evangelization, and our profound devotion to God. Our recent transition from 95 St. […]

Read More

Harmony of Art and Music: A Painting and Church Organ Discover a Serene New Sanctuary

Since 1954, the masterpiece known as the “Last Supper” by the renowned Canadian artist Gerald Trottier (1924 – 2004) has graced the walls of the Refectory of St. Basil’s Seminary, […]

Read More

“A woman clothed with the sun” – The History & Significance of the Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary

The Feast Day of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, celebrated on August 15th, holds a special place in the hearts of millions around the world. This revered day commemorates […]

Read More