September 17, 2020
By Father Kevin Mannara, CSB
There is a multitude of sources to turn to. A good spiritual director or mentor should be able to make many recommendations. Here is a brief, introductory list of books and websites for someone starting out asking about vocations.
- Casey Cole, OFM, Called: What Happens After Saying YES to God, Franciscan Media, 2018. (Note: also check out his Youtube series, “Breaking In the Habit”)
- Benedict Croell, OP and Andrew Hofer, OP, A Living Sacrifice: A Guide for Men Discerning Religious Life, Vianney Vocations, 2019.
- Daniel P. Horan, OFM, Dating God: Live and Love in the Way of St. Francis, Franciscan Media, 2012.
- James Martin, SJ, Becoming Who You Are: Insights on the True Self from Thomas Merton and Other Saints, Paulist Press, 2006.
- Thomas Merton, The Seven Storey Mountain, (multiple publishers).
- Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation, (multiple publishers).
- Henri Nouwen, Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life, HarperOne Publishers, 2015.
- St. Therese of Lisieux, The Story of a Soul, (multiple publishers).
- Mark Thibodeaux, SJ, God’s Voice Within: The Ignatian Way to Discover God’s Will, Loyola Press, 2010.
- Bonnie Thurston, Hidden In God: Discovering the Desert Vision of Charles De Foucauld, Ave Maria Press, 2016.
CategoriesDiscerning, a Vocations Blog
How do I become a priest?
by Father Steven Huber, CSB It seems that when a person is discerning the Priesthood, one of the most common questions that is asked is “how long does it take […]Read More
What is the difference between a Religious Priest and a Diocesan Priest?
by Father Steven Huber, CSB This is a question that often gets asked by young men who are discerning a vocation- and rightly so! After all, don’t all Priests celebrate […]Read More
What is a vocation?
By Father Kevin Mannara, CSB You formed my inmost being; You knit me in my mother’s womb. I praise You, because I am wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works! My […]Read More
How do you discern a vocation to religious life?
By Father Kevin Mannara, CSB Speak Lord, for Your servant is listening. 1 Samuel 3:10 When I was a boy, I said to my grandmother that I thought I might […]Read More
How did you know you were being called to the priesthood?
By Fr. Eduardo Rivera, CSB “Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus. He first found his own brother Simon and […]Read More